Let’s face it, blonde hair is high maintenance. From the constant root touch-ups, to protecting it from ~everything~ (aka the sun, heat styling and chlorine), there’s a lot to think about. It’s also incredibly prone to damage, dryness and brittleness. Thankfully, there’s a hair care routine for bleached hair that will legitimately save your hair. Coming from one of our all time fav brands (Redken), your prayers for soft, manageable locks are here.
So whether you’ve just gone bleach blonde or you have hair that is beyond repair, you’re in luck my friend. Up next, the hair care routine for bleached hair that is changing the lives of every blonde out there.
First of all, why does bleach damage your hair?
When your hair is being bleached, alkaline agents (which are the lighteners), cause the hair to swell. This causes the cuticles to open, which then opens the door for oxidative agents to do their work (these are what strip the pigment, aka melanin, from your hair).
This can impact your hair in a few ways.
- Your hair will become more porous. When you have high porosity hair, water and oils are easily absorbed but your hair will have a hard time retaining that moisture. This can lead to hair that's dry, frizzy, and prone to tangles and breakage.
- The cuticle will keep opening until it's so open that nothing holds it together. This inevitably leads to, you guessed it, damage and split ends.
To remedy all this damage, you need a super reparative hair care routine for bleached hair. Speaking of...
About Redken Extreme Bleach Recovery
When it comes to caring for damaged hair, there’s nobody better than Redken. With their scientific approach to beauty, you can trust this brand to deliver.
So, what is Extreme Bleach Recovery? Powered by a protein complex, this hair care range will fortify hair to be 15x stronger. By infusing your hair with proteins from the root to the core to the tip, your hair gets 3 levels of custom nourishment. This not only adds shine and life back to your hair, but gives it the strength to prevent hair breakage and damage.
Who can use it?
If you’ve got damaged, overly processed, chemically treated or blonde hair, this range is for you.
The most hydrating hair care routine for bleached hair
Okay, so now we know a little about the range, let’s get into the actual products themselves and how to use them in a restorative hair care routine for bleached hair!
Step 1: Extreme Bleach Recovery Shampoo
The first step in any hair care routine is, of course, washing your hair. While it’s important to give your hair a deep clean so it doesn’t get greasy or totally unmanageable, it also helps hair treatments to absorb better!
For this, you’ll need the Extreme Bleach Recovery Shampoo.
With its silicone-free formula, this strengthening shampoo is ideal for ultra-sensitive, damaged hair. Packed full of goodness, it’ll add softness, suppleness and shine to your hair in just one use. Not to mention, it’ll gently cleanse your hair and scalp and give your hair a major hydration boost.
How to use the Extreme Bleach Recovery Shampoo:
- Jump in the shower and wet your hair.
- Apply the shampoo to the roots and massage into a lather (if you have particularly thick hair, we recommend sectioning your hair!).
- Rinse out.
- Follow with a hydrating conditioner (we recommend the Redken Extreme Conditioner).
Step 2: Extreme Bleach Recovery Lamellar Water
Now your hair is squeaky clean, it’s time to give it some TLC! This is where the Extreme Bleach Recovery Lamellar Water comes in.
Super conditioning and hydrating, this rinse-out treatment instantly fills the porosity of the hair while providing softness, smoothness and shine.
Formulated with centella asiatica, the Lamellar Water will restore the touch and feel of healthy hair. Which means you can say goodbye to dry, brittle hair, and hello to healthy, manageable locks.
How to use the Extreme Bleach Recovery Lamellar Water:
- After shampooing, gently wring out your hair. We suggest either just using your hands or a microfibre towel (try not to use a regular towel, as they can cause too much damage on already damaged hair).
- Apply 1-4 doses on mid-lengths to ends based on the hair length. 1 dose is equal to 10ml (see dose markers on the side of the bottle).
- Work into a light lather.
- Leave on for a few minutes and then rinse.
Step 3: Extreme Bleach Recovery Cica Cream Leave-In
Last but not least, is the Extreme Bleach Recovery Cica Cream.
Formulated with centella asiatica, this leave-in treatment adds smoothness, visibly reduces the appearance of split ends and makes your hair super soft. It also deeply repairs your hair from the inside out, making it pretty darn resilient and strong.
Healthy, strong *and* soft hair? What more could you want!
How to use the Extreme Bleach Recovery Cica Cream:
- After using the Extreme Bleach Recovery Shampoo and Lamellar Water Treatment, apply this leave-in treatment to damp hair.
- Focus on the mid-lengths and ends (as this is where the hair is most easily damaged).
- Leave the treatment in and dry/style your hair as normal. If you do plan on using hair appliances, make sure you also apply a heat protectant beforehand too!
And there you have it, the best hair care routine for bleached hair that’ll solve all your dry, brittle hair woes.
Want to bring your blonde hair back to life? Give this routine a go, we promise you’ll start to see results within a few washes and you’ll never look back. You can find the entire Redken bleached hair care range at Oz Hair & Beauty, and you can pay later with Afterpay and Zippay! Need to stock up on other blonde hair essentials, like purple shampoo and conditioner? We got everything you need girl, so get shopping.