Put a finger down if you’re obsessed with TikTok hair videos
So, you probs know TikTok made a name for itself through viral dancing and lip syncing videos (don’t pretend you didn’t try to learn the Renegade), but it very quickly became so much more than that. It’s now a hub for all kinds of weird and wonderful short videos, and at some point the social media platform became just as much a beauty salon as a recording studio.
#hairtok, with a whopping 1.4 billion (yup, billion with a b) views and rising, is here to help you and thousands of others get the #maincharacter hair of your dreams. Whether you want hair growth tips, curly hair product recommendations or hairstyle ideas, the TikTok hair community is here to help you look snatched. Periodt.
And that’s on great hair every day
#hairtok isn't just for those looking to change up their look for a special occasion. It's also full of hot tips and product recommendations that you can lean on to up your overall haircare game. Shea Moisture is one of the most hyped hair brands on TikTok at the moment, and Morrocanoil and Pureology are lowkey everywhere too. With no shortage of fire haircare recommendations just a few taps away, you’ll be flexing on everyone with your luscious hair in no time.
- Oil check. Hair oil, in particular argan oil, is also huge with the TikTok crew, both as a pre-wash mask and a leave-in treatment. #arganoil draws in millions of views, with some video makers saying it can help control your frizzy hair. Worth a shot, don't you think?
Rapunzel, Rapunzel, give us your hair tips
Feel like your look is coming up a bit short? The good news is, TikTok influencers and everyday punters are generous with their hair growth advice.
- Say hola to Olaplex, the brand that lives in our minds rent free. Olaplex is making a name for itself on TikTok, and we are absolutely here for it. A deep dive on #olaplex can help you figure out the best way to use Olaplex shampoo and conditioner, treatments, bonding oil and other products from this beloved brand that help to repair your hair's broken bonds.
So how do you make it? You’re going to want to rinse 1 cup of uncooked rice to get all the nasties out. Then, add 2 cups of water and let it sit for at least an hour, but not longer than 24 hours. Strain the water into a bowl and you're ready to go! Shampoo your hair as normal before massaging the rice water into your hair and scalp. Let it sit for around 20 minutes before rinsing your hair. It's recommended that you don’t do this more than once a week as rice water is FULL of protein, and while this is exactly what damaged hair needs, too much can actually weaken your hair!
It’s the curls for me
There's a fine line between luscious, bouncy curls and an untamed, frizzy blob atop your head. The TikTok curly hair community knows the struggle all too well, and are here to help you untangle your mane.
- Method scrolling. The Curly Girl Method has taken TikTok by storm, with millions of users keen on getting their curls looking fire. There are hundreds of #curlygirlmethod videos out there, walking you through everything from the best curly hair products to curly girl approved routines. Just don't blame us for getting in too deep.
- Unleash the curl. Always feel like you've had a curly girl hiding inside of you that's been waiting to get out? That Shea Moisture gang we mentioned earlier is loving the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, while big-time hairstylists are digging the wonderful power of the Wella Nutricurls range. Both are Tiktok hits right now.
CEO of styling
You can't teach old dogs new tricks, but you can look at your favourite hair appliances in a whole new light with the help of TikTok trendsetters.
- Roll with it. Although TikTok might be the new kid on the block, it's not shying away from bringing old school hair rollers back in a big way, and we’re 100% here for it. Check out #hairrollers, where you’ll find both the goofy and the great.
- Hot air, great hair. Like Hansel in Zoolander (it's an ancient movie from all the way back in 2001, but it still holds up, trust us), hot air brushes are so hot right now. Basically, it's like if you took a fancy brush in one hand, a hair dryer in the other, and mashed them together into one super device. Still don't quite get it? Peep these #hairdryerbrush videos. While these rotating hot air brushes might look big and ridic, their styling power will leave you shook.
While there's a lot to scroll through here, trust us when we tell you this is just the tip of the #hairtok iceberg. Feeling inspired? Check out Oz Hair & Beauty, where you can find a bunch of the hair products and tools mentioned. You’ll be slaying the haircare game before you know it - no cap.