If we said you could literally wake up with perfect Beyonce waves without using a hair curler, would you believe us? Probably not, because bed hair equals a frizzy mess, right? Well, let us introduce you to a whole new era of hair curling with heatless curls. That’s right ~ heatless ~ curls. That means no curling iron, no waking up in the early hours of the morning to style your hair and needing nothing but a bathrobe tie… wait, what?
You’re probably wondering why we’ve brought a bathrobe into the equation. You see, to achieve this heatless curl look all you need is the tie from your bathrobe! You know that long thing you wrap around your waist? Yas, that. Don’t worry we’ll explain how it works down below.
Heatless curls have been around for centuries, we’re talking since the 1800s. But, they slowly lost their popularity as we started looking for ways to get instant curly hair (cue the invention of the curling iron). However, more and more people have been looking at ways they can minimise damage to their hair, which has seen the heatless curls trend resurface yet again.
Today, we are going to teach you how to achieve heatless curls, as well as talk through some of the reasons why we love them so much. As this method is heatless, it does mean you need a few extra hours to make it work - so the best thing to do is to sleep on it! So before you go to bed follow these steps!
What you will need:
- A bathrobe tie!
Styling tip: use a thick, plush robe tie if you want beautiful beachy waves, and a thin, silk robe tie for tighter, bouncier curls.
Additional styling products:
Styling tip: you don’t not need these styling products to achieve heatless curls, however they will enhance the curl, and ensure it lasts longer, as well as reduce frizz.
20 easy steps to heatless curls
1. Get into your pyjamas and locate your robe tie.
2. Take the L'Oreal Techni Art Pli Shaper spray and distribute through your hair. This will help to create shape and hold the heatless curls.
3. Next, use a comb to part your hair into two halves and pop the robe tie on top of your head, a few inches back from the hairline. The tie should ideally be sitting right at the top of your head.
4. You want to start with the front sections of your hair first (so this is all the parts at the front of the robe tie).
5. Starting on one side, take a 2-3 inch section of hair from the very front of your face. Wrap it tightly over and under the tie, bringing it all the way back to the front, so you are wrapping the piece of hair away from your face.
6. Still holding that first section tightly, grab another section of hair and combine it with the piece you already twisted, then wrap them over and under again. The action of grabbing the sections of hair and combining them is similar to when you french braid.
7. You are going to repeat this process, grabbing more strands of hair from the front of your face until you’ve collected all the hair in front of the robe tie.
8. Continue twisting until you reach the ends of your hair.
9. Fold the robe tie over the end of the hair and secure it with an elastic band (this ensures you won't get the imprint of the elastic band in your hair.
10. Repeat this front section process on the other side of your head.
11. Next you want to work on the back sections of your hair. This is following the same over and under process, only you are bringing the hair towards your face this time.
12. Again, take 2-3 inch sections, and wrap them over and under the robe tie, picking up more strands each time until you have collected all your hair and reached the end.
13. Secure with an elastic band again and complete on the other side of your head.
14. Once both sides are complete and all strands of hair are twisted around the robe, it’s time to go to sleep!
15. After your much deserved beauty sleep, it's time to unravel your hair and reveal the results!
16. Once all your hair is untied, use your fingers to brush through the curls - you can also use a wide tooth comb to detangle the hair if needed.
17. If you’re happy with the results as they are, then leave it there. However, if you would like to give it more body and volume, use some styling products.
18. To do so, spray some Nak High Volume spray through your hair and use your finger to distribute it.
19. Then go in with the Nak Done and Dusted texturising powder - to maximise the volume at the roots.
20. Continue adding texture and using your hands to style as desired and voila - heatless curls!
5 benefits of heatless curls
Heatless curls really are as simple as that, which is one reason why we are so obsessed. But on top of this, doing heatless curls has a number of extra benefits that make them that much better:
- Doing heatless curls reduces hair damage. Using heat on your hair excessively can cause tremendous damage to your locks, so if you do like to rock the curls often, heatless curls are a great way to achieve the same look, minus the heat damage.
- Heatless curls help reduce styling induced hair loss. From heat damage to the snagging and pulling of using a hot tool. Styling your hair can leave you with a pile of stray strands.
- You can say goodbye to split ends. Heat damage caused split ends, but not with heatless curls!
- Heatless curls keep your hair’s natural sheen. Excessive heat styling can cause hair to become brittle and dull, making it hard to maintain that natural glossy finish.
- Doing heatless curls takes hours out of your styling routine. Yas, you do need a few hours to get the hair to curl properly, however using this overnight method to curl your hair means one less thing to worry about in the morning!
So, are you ready to give heatless curls a go? See just how life changing this method is and discover a less hectic morning routine for years to come. You can find all the haircare products we mentioned in this blog on Oz Hair & Beauty online today.