Australian summers are known to be incredibly hot, with a fierce sun that beats down on our skin. While many of us thrive in this heat, spending our time at beaches and pools, unfortunately, the sun is also notorious for wreaking havoc on our complexions. Many of us know that wearing sunscreen with a good SPF rating is an important part of any summer, however, we don’t always know all of the amazing benefits that sunscreen can provide for us. Take a look here at some of the top benefits of including SPF in your skincare routine and some of our favourite SPF products that our skincare buyer swears by.
Why is SPF so important?
SPF is an incredibly important part of any daily routine as it has numerous skin and health benefits. SPF protects you from harmful UV rays and can help you keep an even, healthy skin tone. Not only is this important aesthetically, but it has deeper health benefits as well. Your skin is your first defence against environmental and free radical factors that can cause lasting harm and damage.
What are the benefits of using products with SPF?
SPF is an important step in your daily routine for a number of reasons:
- It protects you from UV rays: Harmful UV rays can cause severe skin damage, especially in Australia where the ozone layer has been depleted due to environmental damage. This damage or sunburn can cause irreparable damage as well as increase the prevalence of sunspots, weathered and leathery skin and scarring in cases of extreme sunburn. SPF greatly reduces the risk from UV rays as it acts as a barrier.
- It reduces the risk of skin cancer: Skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer in Australia, primarily due to the harsh UV rays and poor ozone layer covering. SPF can help reduce your risk of skin cancer by at least half.
- It helps prevent the premature signs of ageing: No one wants to look older than their actual years. Damage from UV rays causes photoaging of the skin, which can cause thick, leathery, discoloured skin as well as a reduction in collagen, leading to wrinkles, fine lines and sagging. A good SPF can help prevent these symptoms of premature sun damage and ageing before they have a chance to impact your complexion.
Our buyers' favourite products:
1. Dermalogica Powerbright Moisturiser SPF50
The Dermalogica Powerbright Moisturiser is a skin hydrating moisturiser that helps to protect against dark spots while providing SPF50 protection against the sun and UV rays. Using a combination of ingredients including Safflower Oil for its hydrating effects, Brown Algae to combat air pollution, Hyaluronic Acid to help strengthen the skin and Licorice Root Extract to help soothe the skin, Dermalogica Powerbright is a fantastic addition to your daily beauty routine.
2. Avène Sunscreen Emulsion SPF50+
The Avène Sunscreen Emulsion is perfect for anyone with sensitive skin. Specially formulated to have fewer ingredients that irritate sensitive skin, it’s the perfect sunscreen to help prevent sun spots and premature ageing. Its light and invisible texture make it the perfect sunscreen to apply under your makeup.
3. Mesoaestetic Anti-Ageing Light Veil
This is a fantastic product for those of you looking for an ultra-high SPF to get the ultimate protection from your skincare. With hyaluronic acid to help aid skin moisture, elasticity and strength, this is the perfect anti-ageing sunscreen cream that provides protection against harsh environmental conditions. Ideal for those with normal to combination skin, this hydrating but lightweight formula will keep your skin looking and feeling its best.
4. Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery
The Dynamic Skin Recovery is not only a high factor sun protection cream, but it also boasts powerful moisturising qualities as well. With no artificial colours, fragrances or parabens, this medium-weight moisturiser offers protection against visible skin ageing and broad-spectrum UV protection.
5. Aspect Sun Envirostat Face SPF50
This broad-spectrum high sun factor sunscreen is the perfect option for those of us who are constantly on the go. Offering a dry-touch, non-sticky and non-greasy formula, this high-performance chemical-based sunscreen is ideal for active lifestyles. Enriched with vitamin E, this is a great product to wear under your makeup.
6. Murad City Skin Age Defense Broad Spectrum SPF15
Murad City Skin Age Defense is a lightweight mineral sunscreen that offers high environmental protection against the key causes of skin damage and premature ageing. Offering broad protection against an array of different light damage, such as blue light from screens and UV light from the sun, this is a fast-absorbing formula that leaves your skin looking pearly soft and luminous. Fragrance-free, it’s a great option for those with sensitive skin.
7. We Are Feel Good Inc. Sensitive Sunscreen Lotion SPF50+ 400ml
Designed to be used as both a face and body sunscreen, the Sensitive Sunscreen is the perfect option for those of us who love to spend our days outside on the beach. Its non-greasy, ultra-hydrating formula is designed to help protect your delicate skin while offering up to 4-hours of water resistance before you need to reapply. Its fragrance-free, lightweight formula offers sheer but powerful coverage that is suitable for even the most delicate of skin types.
Get in touch today
We love sunscreen. It’s the easiest and most efficient way of protecting your skin and overall health from the harsh effects of the sun. Investing in a great sunscreen now can help prevent years of sun damage from building up and allow you to maintain your youthful appearance and complexion far into the future.
With its ability to help prevent everything from premature ageing to skin cancer, sunscreen should be worn every single day, not just during the summer. If you need assistance choosing the right product for your skin type or needs, we can help. Get in touch with our team today and we can help you get the right product for your needs.